Learn to read food labels to check if a food contains nut or nut products. European Union (EU) and Irish law states that nut and ingredients made from nut must be listed on foods made in the EU, some products listing ‘almonds’ contain reconstituted and flavoured peanuts.
- Learn to read the labels of medicine, cosmetics and skin cream.
- Avoid foods without a label.
- If the food label is unclear or causes doubt – leave it out.
- Don’t buy peanuts.
- Don’t have peanuts in the home.
- Avoid skin contact with peanut or food containing peanut.
- Avoid Lupin also.
Nuts are listed as an ingredient on a label as:
|Peanut includes||Tree nut includes|
|Monkey nuts||Pecan/Hickory nut|
|Unrefined oils of peanut, arachis and groundnut.||Walnut|
|Unrefined oils of any of the above|
This is intended as a general guide to avoiding peanut. You should be referred to a Dietitian if you need more detailed information on avoiding peanut, peanut free products and peanut alternatives.